Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week Eight (January 17th to January 24th)

Sunday: 8 miles in 55:00 (6:53/mi)
Ran around Rochester. Didnt feel my knee until 25 minutes (but still felt it which annoyed me). It has definitely gotten better from the 2 days off as it was barely noticeable. Iced after the run. As the 15 mile tempo most likely was a cause of this injury I think there is another, being shoes. I've been running in Axioms and Summons for most of the time rather than the STs I usually run in. Today I started off 10 in STs for 10 minutes, but then switched to my Summons (STs are rubbing a tendon below my ankle). My stride was noticeably more jarring when in the Summons. So, I think I may need to stay with lighter and more flexible shoes.

Monday: Cross trained for 50 min
I went to the Y with Rach to cross train. I actually did a variation off stuff - biking for 30 minutes, elliptical a few minutes, and then aqua jogging for 20 minutes. I switched between things because my knee kept getting aggravated, after 30 minutes it was noticeable on the bike. So, I moved to the elliptical and it was immediately noticeable, so I went to the pool with Rach. I got 20 minutes in before it was, yet again, bother me...so I just treaded water as Rach was finishing up. Looks like I might have to take complete off days and not even cross train, that's pretty darn annoying.

Tuesday: OFF
Taking care of knee and groin.

Wednesday: OFF
Taking care of knee and groin.

Thursday: 8 miles in 55:00 (6:53/mi)
Great run but awful idea for a loop when injured. Real hilly so it didn't help the knee. Back in Cortland so I was able to run with a bunch of guys. Today I decided that I'll try to run through the issue since I was able to do so before with patella tendinitis (as long as I stay on flat surfaces unlike yesterday). Unfortunately no soft surfaces are available, so that might be a problem...we'll see. Did core and strength later.

Friday: 10 miles in 68:00 (6:48/mi) 10:30am - Finally feel like I'm back running. It seems like I'm just suffering from patella tendinitis / runners knee. I think its a mix of the shoes I'm running in and the fact that Ive been running on the same side of the road all the time, Ive noticed when I go on the other side the opposite slant doesn't hurt the knee as much. It hurt for the first 5 minutes in, but then once it got warmed up it was only slightly noticeable. Really good sign as this indicates I'm able to run through it. I wish I had payed more attention to what it was, because I may not have had to take all this time off. Granted it seems to have helped my groin slightly, which is still noticeable. Ive still got 57 days to go to Shamrock, as long as this is the only major setback Ill be good to go.

Saturday: Sort of OFF
My knee hurt for the first 10 minutes, but sort of went away for the next 10. I was running with Justin, Stermer and Curry who were doing a workout. So I stopped with them for a couple minutes as they were changing in to spikes. Glad I did because as I started running again my hip started popping and was hurting a bit - looks like an IT problem from overcompensation. I guess this means I should be smart and take some actual time off. The good news is that I biked next to the guys today as the did their workout and it didn't bother my knee. So I guess actual cycling (and not a stationary bike) doesn't bother me knee.

Week Summary: This week sure took a hit. Nothing special to report. I think I'm going to focus on biking for all of next week to make sure I fully recover. Hopefully that time will help my groin as well. All of the sudden I turned in to a mess!

26 miles
3 hours
Primary: none
Secondary: none
Runs: 3
Off: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment