Monday, December 7, 2009

Start of a new block (November 29th to December 5th).

I started up this blog for a couple of reasons: 1) I figured friends and family would be interested to read it. 2) I enjoy reading other peoples training for ideas and motivation, so I figured I might as well share my own ideas. 3) This will give me a source of accountability where I can make my goals and training public.
After a very dismal cross season I was very anxious to progress in to my training for the Shamrock Half on March 21st. I took a couple days off, and ran whenever I wanted, as far or as short as I wanted. That amounted to a 50 mile "down" week. This post marks the first week of training and the start of a new training block, hopefully towards an qualifying time for the Olympic marathon trials (through a sub 1:05 half marathon).

Sunday (11/29):
15.2 miles in 1:42.00 (6:43/mi)
Did my LR while Rach biked next to me for 70 minutes of it. Felt much better today than I have over the last 3-4 days or so. Legs were getting a little tired around 90 minutes, but it has been over 3 weeks since Ive run this far surprisingly. Left IT a little tight towards the end. Two strides towards the end of the run, felt pretty good.

Monday (11/30): 8.4 miles in 57:00 (6:47/mi)
Ran with Wager, Jerry and KOB down Kellogg and back. Felt pretty decent, except IT started getting sore about 45 min in. I was going to do 10 but called it early due to the IT.

Tuesday (12/1): 10.2 miles in 1:11:00 (6:58/mi)
Ran with Kyle, Jerry, Justin and Koral for a little. Went downtown, IM fields, downtown and then beaudry. Did 6×12s hill sprints after which felt good, its been awhile since Ive done them. Left IT still slightly sore, but the soft surfaces helped minimize it – granted it is feeling better than yesterday…

Wednesday (12/2): AM - 9 miles in 1:02.00 (6:53/mi) PM - 7.2 miles in 50:00 (6:57/mi)
AM: Ran on beaudry, then to the IM fields. Legs feeling normal I guess….getting used to running again. Left IT noticeable but barely.
PM: Ran on the fields a little bit. Met up with Curry and a few of the guys later on in the run. IT progressively getting better. Did 4 ins and outs during the run.

Thursday (12/3): PRIMARY - 14 miles in 1:27.10 (6:14/mi)
10 minutes of core, thorough stretch and form drills about 1 hr before the workout.
Ran to the old track to meet Fred for the workout. Stermer met us because he decided to do the workout as well, and Jimmy joined us for the warm up so that I could show him the two mile loop. I got a 30 minute warm up (changed in to streaks) in and some strides. The workout was 3×2mi with about 4 minutes active rest. The goal was to start around 5:10 for a rep and work down to GP for the half, which is 4:57. It was pretty windy at the start, with the wind at about 20 mph and gusts up to 30mph, but it mellowed a little towards the end with the wind around 15mph and gusts up to 20mph (via weather.com). The loop is pretty great for the wind though since it breaks it up a bit with some straightaways out of the wind, and some in to it. The first rep we started off easy and slowly progressed over the second mile. The second rep was slightly similar, but a little more aggressive, and then the final rep was completely even but we got after it, I still felt controlled though. Fred and I started a little behind Sterm on the 3rd one – he had a darn good workout too since he ran with us for the first two and ran 10:10 or so on the last one. Overall Im pretty pleased with the workout as I wasn’t even planning on doing one this week (and havent done a workout in ~2 wks), but Fred asked if I wanted to so I figured why not? Easy 19 minute cooldown. Quads were already feeling a bit sore, so they will probably be feeling this a good amount tomorrow.

(5:13.4, 5:07.8) = 10:21.2
(5:03.7, 5:00.8) = 10:04.5            
Total = 6 miles in 30:10.6 (5:02/mi)
(4:52.1, 4:52.8) = 9:44.9

Friday (12/4): AM - 10 miles in 1:09.00 (6:54/mi) PM - 7 miles in 48:30 (6:56/mi)
AM: Ran half of this with Wager in waterworks, then finished up in beaudry and the HS trails. An easy run, my legs arent feeling as bad as I anticipated. Left IT hardly noticeable, but my right hamstring was popping sometimes which hurt – there always got to be something!
PM: Ran with Sterm mostly on the IM fields. Just nice and easy. Upper quads a little sore and R hamstring popping slightly still. Great run though, legs turning over effortlessly.

Saturday (12/5): SECONDARY (AM) - 9 miles in 1:00.00 (6:40/mi) PM - 7 miles in 49:00 (7:00mi)
AM: Ran to the IM fields and did 45s on 2min off (some glorified strides). Felt pretty good, it was nice doing an early run – got to get in this routine from now on. Right hamstring still sort of popping, but not as noticeable. Not much of a secondary, but still a decent efficiency workout.
PM: Ran with Sterm and Wager. Did a downtown loop to the service rd. to the 2 mi loop. The ground was a bit slippery thanks to the snow. I was annoyed at first because I was thinking about how workouts will suck on slippery roads. After awhile though I really started enjoying it because the temperature was perfect and the lights reflected off the road which made it look real cool. Really enjoyed the run over time, so I decided to go a little longer.
10 minute core and some pushups after the run and form drills before the run.

Week Summary:
I'm quite satisfied with this as my first week back, the volume was a bit more than planned but surprisingly manageable.
I got a solid primary in, which was also better than I anticipated. There were a few random aches and pains but I figure the quick increase of mileage was due to that, as long as I'm smart and proactive they shouldn't be a factor.


97 miles
10:55 hrs
Primary: 3x2mi
Secondary: 45s on 2min off
10 runs

No comments:

Post a Comment